Your shopping choices can help protect the planet
With some simple changes to your shopping list, you can help to create positive change. Use the tips below to start making a difference now.
Look for the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal when you shop. Products carrying the Rainforest Alliance Certified green frog seal are derived from farms and forests where water, soil and wildlife habitat are conserved, where workers are treated well, where families have access to education and health care and where communities benefit. Use our
Shop the Frog
tool to find Rainforest Alliance Certified products near you.
Shop the Frog pledge
to let us know you’re committed to being a sustainable shopper.
- Your preferred grocer doesn’t carry Rainforest Alliance Certified goods? Make a request the next time you visit the store. Let your grocer know that you want Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee, tea, chocolate, fruit and paper products.
Every minute, about 1 million plastic bags are used around the world, yet a single plastic bag can take up to 1,000 years to degrade. Choose a reusable bag next time you shop. We have one in eco-green you might like.
Get it now
Planning a trip? Your travel choices make a difference! By choosing socially and environmentally responsible hotels, tour operators and transportation, you can ensure that your trip contributes to conservation efforts and the well-being of local communities. Visit our
to find sustainable hotels, tours, restaurants and car rental agencies in Latin America and the Caribbean.
You might have more in common with the farmers and foresters who produce the goods you use each day than you realize. Get to know a few producers in the videos below:
Your decisions in the store directly impact farmers and foresters, and their communities, as well as precious ecosystems. Amplify your impact by
making a contribution to the Rainforest Alliance today.
Eight Tips for Green Party Planning
Your next party doesn’t have to be costly for you or the Earth. Here are some party-planning tips that will add a little flourish to your next eco-fete.
- Use e-invitations or paper invites printed on FSC-Rainforest Alliance Certified™ paper.
- Get creative with place settings. Try using natural or found items; write guests’ names on large leaves, stones, apples, seasonal gourds or other produce.
- Reuse or re-purpose materials when creating your decorations to add a personal and resourceful touch. If gifts will be given, ask your guests to wrap them in newspaper or recycled paper.
Turn your next event into a fundraiser by collecting contributions through CrowdRise.
is an online tool that makes raising funds for a worthy cause a snap.
- Use your own china, glassware and silverware. Sure it may take a little extra time to do the dishes, but in the end it’s a guilt-free way to entertain. If you’re throwing a large party and don’t have enough dishware, consider renting reusable dishes and glasses.
- Party favors: offer something that will last long after the party is over. Seeds or regional plants make lovely gifts for your guests.
- If you’re buying floral arrangements for your party, look for the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal. Rainforest Alliance Certified flowers and ferns create sustainable jobs and are grown without dangerous agrochemicals, in harmony with the surrounding trees and wildlife.
Still wondering what to serve? Plan an earth-friendly menu by using
these recipes featuring Rainforest Alliance Certified ingredients
for your next party.
Green Living Tips: Choose Sustainable Travel
Join the birds heading south for the winter by planning a sustainable getaway!
Whether you’re going somewhere tropical or just embarking on a local adventure, we have simple tips to help you plan the perfect eco-friendly excursion.
Sustainable Vacation Tips
for our searchable database of eco-friendly hotels and tour operators in Latin America and the Caribbean, so you can book your stay at a sustainably run business. If you’re traveling outside of those areas, be sure to ask these
before you reserve a room at a hotel.
If you book your flight with
, you’ll enjoy a cup of Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee onboard.
Reduce the environmental impact of your flight by purchasing carbon offsets with
- Keep it local. Wherever you visit, take mass transit when you can and visit locally owned restaurants and shops.
- Never purchase crafts, clothing, furniture or other products derived from members of protected or endangered animal species.
- Hire a local guide. The benefits are twofold: you’ll be supporting the local economy and you’ll become privy to inside information.
Sustainable Day Trip Tips
- Take advantage of your city’s mass transit system by exploring via bus, ferry or train.
Would you rather stay closer to home? Hop on your bike to explore your neighborhood in a new way. If safety is a concern, check out
Ride the City
to map out a smart route.
Explore your local environment by heading out for a hike or visiting a nearby preserve or park. With 388 National Parks in the United States, there is likely a
within driving distance of your home.
Take a tour of a local farm
. Supporting local farmers is one of the easiest ways to have a positive impact on the planet and support local economies — and it’s a great learning experience.
- New York City was settled largely because of the abundance of oyster beds along the Hudson River. Learn more about your own city with a trip to a museum or a historical society.
Along with our work in agriculture, forestry, climate change and education, the Rainforest Alliance is committed to creating a more sustainable tourism industry. Since 1993, we have worked to provide businesses and tourism operators with the tools and techniques they need to run efficiently and sustainably. Businesses and tourism operations that complete our program earn the right to use the Rainforest Alliance Verified™ mark. There are currently 195 Rainforest Alliance Verified tourism businesses.
Green Living Tips: Sustainable Recipes
This Thanksgiving (and all winter long), treat your friends and family to delicious goodies inspired by recipes from our friends at WholeLiving.com.
Each and every recipe features ingredients grown on Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms which protect the environment and support sustainable livelihoods for farm workers and their communities.
Salsas and Chutneys
This is is a syndicated post. Read the original at my.rainforest-alliance.org